Being Bruce -: What I've Learned About Blog "Voice" and Consistency

Friday, May 1, 2009

What I've Learned About Blog "Voice" and Consistency

Earlier this week I posted a Fox News clip with the CEO of Coldwell Banker's suggestions for how to turn around the economy and get the housing market re-started. Good stuff and all and, on the national level probably valid and if the steps he suggest were implemented it would have local effect as well. However, in hindsight, it was a mistake to put that content on my blog. I'm not taking it down because that would be wussie (corrected spelling welcomed!) but I'm not going there again.

So here's what I learned.

1. Not to take others' suggestions about what to put on my personal blog - which this is. The suggestion was well-meaning and made a lot of sense in the moment, but even as I was posting it, I had to skirt and backfill and all that and my spider-sense told me "huh-uh" --- shoulda listened.

2. To stay away from news broadcasts for content on my personal blog. Here's the deal: I carefully and thoughtfully construct my reality. I choose to live in a world of abundance, gratitude, positive attitude, and action. If I put up news that does pretty much anything but celebrate life, I'm not only being inconsistent, I'm also violating my core beliefs. So even in the blog post earlier this week I felt a need to put it in context and so forth. How silly of me. I take full responsibility for posting what I posted, but again, shoulda listened to my intuition.

3. Keep it real, keep it fun, and keep it personal. In life, particularly in conversation, I love to throw word, idea and concept curveballs, in joy and fun (just follow my Twitter stream for a while for a sample my stream of conscious banter). On the blog, however, even though I clearly don't strive for careful constructions and proper grammar, posting a piece from another consciousness or reality construct doesn't fit.



So that's what I learned.

[BTW - for clarity, no one gave me flack about the post in question, and I don't track hits on my blog or whatever (probably oughta), I just felt it was out of character in a way that didn't feel right, so I wanted to clear the air for myself, if no one else.]

So now I can go back to posting about events and people and stuff I think is cool.