Being Bruce -: First Steel for New Hotel

Monday, October 13, 2008

First Steel for New Hotel

This morning when I drove to the Coldwell Banker Sea Coast Realty office in Leland there were four trucks in a row lined up in the middle of the parking lot. I didn't pay much attention because I was in a hurry to get inside and fire up the Starbucks coffee machine in our office so I could moderate the blood level in my caffeine system. After I had a sip or two of Breakfast Blend (which is a bit light for my taste but we're out of Sumatra Dark till later today), I realized what those four trucks meant. First steel!!!

Yep, last week I posted a photo of the completed slab for the Comfort Suites hotel that's going up next to our office. These trucks are bringing the first structural steel components. Some time in 2009, by summer we're told, there's going to be a 106-room hotel close by our office, with two meeting rooms, an indoor pool and possibly an adjacent restaurant. Some of the agents in our office are having a great year this year (despite all the complaints in national media and by some local real estate companies, pundits, and pundit wannabes) and there's been talk that a few of us may want to get on the meal plan at the new hotel, not to mention the pool plan, the meeting room plan, and the place to recommend to our out-of-town clients plan.

Leland is truly on the rise. "Our" hotel will be the first of four going up within a half mile in the next two years, each with roughly 100 rooms. It's a lot of fun to be part of this growth.